July 4th is approaching quickly and I’m incredibly nervous about our first firework display with Boomer. I looked up some tips to keep him calm and thought I would share with you all as well!
- Play firework sounds throughout the week so it’s a familiar sound to the pup. Start the sound off soft and then gradually increase the volume.
- Be home with them. It’s not fair to just lock them in a room while you go out. Be mindful of the anxiety the experience and let them know you are there with them.
- Keep them inside with doors and windows closed. When dogs get frightened they are known to bolt so make sure he has a tag on and is chipped. Ideally put them in a room with window shades drawn, the sudden lights could disoriented them as well.
- Make them tired! Take them to the parade in the morning, play with them all day and take them for a walk in the afternoon. Do all that you can to make sure that they are tired so they have less energy to freak out.
- Turn on the tv or radio for them. Having other sounds start a couple of hours before dark helps them associate those sounds with calm feelings.
- If they feel the need to hide let them. If he wants to hang out in his crate or hide under his blanket don’t force him out.
I hope these tips help you and your pup have a safe and fun July 4th!